The Daily Post prompt today looked like fun, so I bit: Five a Day – “You’ve been exiled to a private island and your captors will only provide you with five foods. What do you pick?
Since we’re going with a hypothetical situation to start with, I’m taking nutrition right off the table. In this fantasy, the five foods I pick will magically keep me from becoming horribly ill. The main consideration for me was: will I still want to eat this after a week?
1. Coffee. Yes, coffee is a food. On my island it is. Magic coffee.
2. Chocolate chip cookies. Need I say more?
3. Pad ke mao. Must have noodles, so I went with my favorite noodle dish. And “dish” equals “food” in my fantasy.
4. Apples. I need a fruit of some kind, and apples win. But of course we’re talking multiple varieties of apples!
5. Salad. Crunchy, fresh and full of stuff, again a dish rather than a single morsel, but salad’s gotta be there.
After a few weeks of this diet I will definitely start fishing. And are there coconut trees? Do I have a machete? Of course I do!
You can visit me on my island if you bring steak. Steak and red wine, please.